Sunday, December 29, 2013

Social Media Revival?

Couple years ago, I attended a workshop on the topic about "Revival" by our former Bishop, and he shared this interesting trend of how technological advancement over the years has cause various revivals.

First, it was the invention of "Roman paths" - Led to Early Church Movements
Secondly,the invention of "Prints"- Led to the Reformation
Now, with the invention of "Internet"-  possible a "Virtual Revival" through the social media?

That set me thinking, especially now with the social media being a great source of influence in many peoples' life. The world has control over the social media, and most of the time, we see a side of people that we may not see in person. Some would hide behind their blogs or their tweets as a platform to let out steam, anger or the worries of life by just ranting or complaining about all kinds of issues. 

However, WHAT IF we can reclaimed it back by allowing the light of Christ to shine through us in the social media? 

…let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.” Matthew 5:16

Ever since God transformed my life many years back in 2005, I was convicted to use my blog as a platform to share my own personal Journey of faith. First by sharing my testimony in my profile, and to be open to share my joys & struggles as I journal God's fingerprints in different season of my life. 

I will occasionally receive an email or comment from people asking me about my faith all over the world, and it eventually led me to share my faith with a few people over email or Facebook messages. One of whom, I had a long email correspondence with, he was apparently a long time believer who seemed to have gotten burn out and lost faith in people after serving in this particular church for the longest time. After praying alongside him, and just encouraging him via email, he actually shared how he came back to the faith and started attending another church again. 

Even as I write this, just this morning someone whom I do not know came up to me after my sharing at this church, that he stumbled across my blog about my journey through OCS, and was apparently very inspired by what I shared there. I realised that it could be my posts about the fellow believers that i've met in OCS and how we constantly make time to meet, pray and be accountable to one another. 

One of my latest convictions right now, is to post a summary of my daily readings of christian literatures that I read in the morning. Not only does it help me internalized what I read better, I pray and hope that it can bless and encourage others just scrolling in their Facebook newsfeed. 

So who knows, if we can allow God's light to shine through the social media, maybe this a great platform for the light of christ to shine forth in this dark and fallen world. Where Faith, Hope & Love can be the common topics that is on going in the social media, and encouraging comments to one another instead of putting one another down can be a norm instead, 

Just like what the apostle Paul shared, 1 Corinthians 9:22 "... Yes, I try to find common ground with everyone, doing everything I can to save some."

Since the social media is used by almost everyone in the world today, why not allow that to be that common ground that one can just be real to his faith and share their life of Christ light through their Words, their Actions & their Faith?

"Let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds…but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching" (Hebrews 10:24-25).

So who knows, Now, with the invention of "Internet"-  possible a "Virtual Revival" through the social media one day?

No comments: