Saturday, July 28, 2012

YM Weekend 2012!...Reflections of YM after 10 years! :)

This recent YM Weekend has reminded me yet again how faithful the Lord has been to us for the past 10 years! Going through the whole YM system since I was this small shy boy sec 1 than, I can definitely testify of being the product of this ministry 10 years later, and I owe it to alot of the leaders in the past & present whom has invested so much in this ministry and in my life in someway or another. And as I reflect about this weekend, i'm so glad that I made the decision to serve Him full time as a staff in this ministry in this season of my life here today.

This photo taken at YM Camp 2008


YM also known as Youth Ministry, became official in 2003, which makes this the 10th year since this ministry moved out of the old "sunday school" system. It has grown to over 500 over youths, with 420 averange attendance, and last year 10th YM camp had an overwhelming 390 over youths who signed up! 

The next paragraph is just me going into my nostalgia mode as I reflect back my journey in YM thus far! :)

It all started in 2002, when I was just this small shy sec 1 boy, back then when we were still at the old YMCA auditorium. We were still transiting out of the old "sunday school" system. The following year in 2003, YM was officially formed and that was when my own small group God's Clay came into being too! *(God's clay's, this is our 10th anniversary as a small grp! YAY!). In 2004, we shifted to the YWCA building where we are still today.
10yrs with my small group God's Clay from YM to SGM! (This picture taken at our first ever ysg retreat organised by Chin Ee after our O'levels in 2005)

After missing out so much of the happening YM camp's from 2002-2004 because of my shy introverted nature than, I finally decided to go for my first camp in 2005. And as many of you have heard before, it was at my first camp that my life was really TRANSFORMED for Christwhen I encountered God there.

Following year in 2006, was when I step up to serve as a peer leader for my own small grp. And it was that year I began to serve more in the ministry. First joining the Crosstrainers sub-ministry(Activities ministry) & after my first leaders retreat, Andrew lai brought me to my first YM GAP(Prayer Ministry), which I stayed on from that very day onwards.
The Crosstrainers! (My first year with them in 2006)

2008, was a new & challenging period, stepping up to lead the crosstrainer sub-ministry with Isaac with such big shoes to fill from our predecessors.

2009, decided to step down from my own small grp as a peer leader and focus on leading a new Sec 1 group, called God's Everlasting Love (G.E.L) where they are now all grown up Sec 4 youths! :)
My beloved youths! (This picture was taken when they were sec 2)

2010, decided to join Ymove (Missions ministry) & slowly transisted out of the crosstrainers ministry handling over to our uprising leaders, Max & Glenn.
YMOVE

And last year 2011, was where I made some big steps of Faith in my 10 years here. Firstly, deciding to serve full time at YM as a staff, which was quite a testimony too, but will leave that story to another day. Secondly,agreeing to be the camp commandant for the year end YM camp, where God had taught me much in the process of planning such a huge camp!
YM Camp 2011

And now 2012, I can look back and see how YM has come so far, and it's a whole new generations of youths that God has entrusted us to serve and it's really such a JOY serving on the ground in this ministry. Like what Uncle Sam had shared in his sermon at YM weekend, I hope to be that "History Maker" who can tell our kids one day that... "Many years ago, it was this ministry that I encountered God and saw so many lifes being Transformed for Christ!"   

Photos taken at YM Weekend! 21-22 July

YM Skit at TSS and P&P Service!


YM Band at P&P
YM Dialogue at Sanctuary
YM Camp Booth at Sanctuary

Below are just a short outline of the sermon notes that I took down from Uncle Sam (YM PTM), Marcus (YM chairman) over the 7 different services that each of them were involved in the past couple of days.

Uncle Sam (TSS-5pm, P&P 930am, 1130am) 
"It takes a village to raise a youth"

Ephesians 4:11-13
New International Version (NIV)
11 So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, 12 to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up 13 until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.

Like in the Skit there are so many challenges our youths faces daily 

We need to invest in these young peoples life which have eternal value!

There are so many challenges our youths faces daily.

All of us have a set of spiritual gifts that is use to serve God for His purposes in our life.

“Youth Ministry is not about programmes, it’s about relationships—with God, and with man.

”Programme must facilitate relationships!"

“You can teach the entire Matthew 5-7, but Kingdom values are caught, not taught.” 

We are all role models, just that either good or bad

How we give to others out of the little that we have. How we deal with failures, success, how we love the unlovable.

Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit that will work in you and through you! 

"Youths transformed for Christ so that we can impact the world" 

Challenge: 
Will you commit yourself to grow & mature in Christ. Will you be a role model. 

Count the cost, Pay the price!

Marcus Lim- (Sanctuary,730am, 930am, 1130am, 5pm)
"It takes a village to raise a youth"

"They [Young People] have exalted notions, because they have not been humbled by life or learned its necessary limitations; moreover, their hopeful disposition makes them think themselves equal to great things -- and that means having exalted notions. They would always rather do noble deeds than useful ones: Their lives are regulated more by moral feeling than by reasoning -- all their mistakes are in the direction of doing things excessively and vehemently. They overdo everything -- they love too much, hate too much, and the same with everything else."
- Aristotle

Each of them are fearfully & wonderfully make!

We tend to want to mould them into our image than moulding to the Lord

True spiritual growth happens on the inside

Farming analogy, if ask a true farmer what does he grow? He can only plant, only God can make it grow. Similar to the doctor, he can only prepare the right conditions for one to better, but God is the one that Heals.

1 Corinthians 3:6-9
New International Version (NIV)
6 I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God has been making it grow. 7 So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. 8 The one who plants and the one who waters have one purpose, and they will each be rewarded according to their own labor. 9 For we are co-workers in God’s service; you are God’s field, God’s building. 

God is the heavenly partner than makes the transformation

Word, Prayer, Service , Community 

Each week we are have such limited time of 1hr30 mins with the youths. 

Time spend together leads to spiritual friendships to be form!

"Youths transformed for Christ"

"Laying the foundation for life long discipleship"

Parents actually have the most impact with the number of times they have with the youths and they can lead in the spiritual growth for their children.

The words from the Hymnal that spoke to Marcus to serve at YM

It takes a whole village to invest in the lives of this young people! 

No comments: