Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Heart God Revives (Part 2)- Nancy Leigh Demoss


Shared this at our weekly office room devotion today...Part 2 of my previous sharing...




In recent weeks, God has been reminding me on what it means to be going back to that first Love of Christ. If you have grown up in church one would probably know the principles of what it means to lead that christian lives in our minds, but do we truly allow God to convict our hearts?


The last few months after YM CAMP 2011, there was times I felt I was going on a "Spiritual High". Everything on the outward was good. I was doing my daily quiet time, doing diligently my Disciple 1 readings, doing my small group roots & weeks homework. Leading bible studies. Keeping to my sabbath. And doing a lot of good things on the surface of what I know a good christian should live by.

But deep down if i truly touch my heart, I fear I will get complacent one day, I fear spiritual pride might seep in and I fear that it was just the outward appearance of "looking righteous" on the surface and all these expectations to be met as a good christian leader in church. 














And as I share this short devotion from personal thoughts and extracts of passages from Nancy Leigh Demoss on Chapter 5 of her book. Hope it speaks to you as it speaks to me. :)


 Extracts of Chapter 5- The Blessing of Brokenness)


Every time I read the passage below I wonder if we are really like the church describe in Ephesus...


Revelation 2

To the Church in Ephesus
 1 “To the angel of the church in Ephesus write:
   These are the words of him who holds the seven stars in his right hand and walks among the seven golden lampstands. 2 I know your deeds, your hard work and your perseverance. I know that you cannot tolerate wicked people, that you have tested those who claim to be apostles but are not, and have found them false. 3 You have persevered and have endured hardships for my name, and have not grown weary.

4 Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken the love you had at first.
5 Consider how far you have fallen! Repent and do the things you did at first. If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. 6 But you have this in your favor: You hate the practices of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.

   7 Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God. 

Are we like this Church of Ephesus doing a lot of good deeds on the surface, but deep down in our hearts we have lost that first love?
Recall a moment right now, imagine that scene in your life when you last felt this deep intimacy of that love from Christ.

"Most Churches are like a bag of marbles- all hard and clanging up against one another. Instead, we ought to be like a bag of grapes- squished together so that the juice of His Spirit may flow out through us.” – Pastor Ray Ortlund

John 12:23-25
23 But Jesus answered them, saying, “The hour has come that the Son of Man should be glorified. 24 Most assuredly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the ground and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it produces much grain. 25 He who loves his life will lose it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life.

What does this kind of death mean? It means that we must be willing to die to our own interest, die to our own reputation, die to our own rights, die to our own ways of doing things; die to our own comfort, convenience, hopes, dreams, and aspirations. To “die” means to lay it all down. To give it all up. To let it all go.

The only way to gain your life is to give it up. The only way to win it is to lose it. We think we are giving up so much by dying. But in reality, it is those who refuse to die who are giving up everything.

When we choose the pathway of brokenness and humility, we are choosing to receive new life- His supernatural, abundant life- flowing in us and through us.

Isaiah 57:15

For thus says the High and Lofty One
Who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy:
“I dwell in the high and holy place,
With him who has a contrite and humble spirit,
To revive the spirit of the humble,
And to revive the heart of the contrite ones. 

Having said that, let's look at the condition of our own church today...

Why is it so hard for us to express love and worship?

Perhaps it is because we still have the roof on and the walls up. Pride causes us to erect barriers between ourselves and God, and walls between ourselves and others.

 “When our personality is surrendered to the Holy Spirit, He will express the heart of God through us. We will no longer be self-conscious but entirely God-conscious” 

True worship begins with brokenness and humility over whatever God reveals to us in His Word.

Lets look at Jesus the author and perfecter of our faith. He set the perfect example of brokenness. 


“This is My body which is broken for you” 1 Corinthians 11:24

When His body was broken on Calvary, eternal life was released for the salvation of the world. Revival is really nothing more than the release of God’s Spirit flowing through broken lives.

Do you need a fresh encounter with God?

Are you ready for Him to pour out His grace on the dry, thirsty ground of your heart?

Listened to the lyrics of this song "Surrender- Lincoln Brewster" right now. Acknowledge the first love of our Lord Jesus Christ. Open up your hearts and let our Sovereign Lord just minister to your hearts as you response to our Lord in Surrender.

  
Surrender- Lincoln Brewster

VERSE 1:
I'm giving You my heart, and all this is within
I lay it all down, for the sake of You my King
I'm giving You my dreams, Laying down my rights
I'm giving up my pride, for the promise of new life

CHORUS:
And I surrender, all to you
All to you
And I surrender, all to you
All to you

VERSE 2:
I'm singing You this song, waiting at the cross
All the world holds dear, I count it all as loss
For the sake of knowing You, for the glory of Your name
To know the lasting joy, even sharing in Your pain

CHORUS (to ending):
And I surrender, all to you
All to you
And I surrender, all to you
All to you


No comments: